To Grammie's House We Go!

Christmas time is here! My husband and I have been reminiscing over all the Lord has done and we are truly amazed at His grace, His mercy, and His marvelous provision. I have also been hustling and bustling around my house because this year all my kids are coming over! My husband has been laughing at me as I have been preparing and getting little goodies and things for the grandkids to do. He asked me a question that caused me to think – and that is what I am sharing with you all today.

The other morning as I was telling my husband some of my plans for while the kids are here he smiled and looked at me and said, “you’re so excited that the kids are coming, aren’t you?” I replied to him that I was indeed and told him that I knew he was too! He is the one that has everyday written down, all the places he hopes to go with the kids, and a schedule of various things to do (and he was laughing at me). We are both so thrilled to have them “come” here.

When my husband asked me that question instantly I was reminded of our Lord and His plea for us to come to Him. As I pondered over the idea of how much we as parents like to have our children come to us –I realized that perhaps we have that desire to teach us and give us a glimpse of what it means to our Lord when we “come” to Him.

When I was younger I can always remember my grandparent’s first question to me when I called them was “when are you coming?” My parents, when they moved out of state purchased a large home to accommodate our family to ensure that we would “come” to visit them. Well, now our children are all grown, we are grandparents, and now its our turn – we now understand just how much it means to have our children want to come to see us.

In reality all parents like it when their children come to them – even when they’re babies. It is so precious especially that first time they extend their arms to us wanting to be held. Parents will make promises “if you come to Mommy (when they’re learning to walk), I’ll give you a cookie.” Sometimes the great lengths parents go to in order to have their children “come” to them is almost comical. The truth is, we as parents all like to have our children want to come to see us, to spend time with us because we love them so much and desire their company. This morning my daughter was telling me that my granddaughter Haylie (2 years old) got dressed, put on her sweater and her shoes and then told her that she was coming to Grammie’s house and that she was going to hold my hand…how precious is that?

And so today I would like to remind you that our God, our Saviour wants us to “come” to Him.

He tells us that we can come unto Him as children, “Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.” Luke 18:16

When we’re thirsty He says, “…If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.” John 7:37

When we’re burdened He says, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

In our times of need, “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16

And most especially He is the only One we can go to for salvation. He came to us because we needed a Saviour, and He did His part in dying on the cross to save us from our sin so that we can “ever be with the Lord'” (again showing His desire for us to "come" to Him.) When thinking about going to great lengths consider that “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

And today He invites us to come…

“And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. ” Revelation 22:17

It’s Christmas I truly hope that you’ll… “come to Jesus;” He is the reason for this wonderful season!

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful day!

Comments

  1. Terrie,the kids will have such wonderful memories,because at the end of the day we are left with all those good times that you gave them and share together.and thank GOD that we have HIM that we can always know that HIS arms are always open for us.This was so beautiful Terrie.A big blessing . love Mom...xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

Surviving a Crisis

And They Lived Happily Ever After