It's How We "Role"

Recently my husband and I had the joy of keeping 3 of our precious grandchildren with us for a few days while our son and his wife went to a conference. We had a lot of fun with the kids, and of course as grandparents we wanted to spoil our grandkids.

On one of the days we decided we would take the kids to Chuck E Cheese for lunch and most especially to play the games. We had to run a few errands to complete a few church related tasks. Well, the boys started to get restless – they were so excited that they just had a hard time containing themselves. After being warned a few times, my husband finally resorted to warning them that if they would not behave they would not be able to go to Chuck E Cheese’s. Unfortunately the boys committed the final act that forced my husband to keep his word.

When I got in the car, (I promise I was only in the store for 10 minutes – tops), my husband informed me that we were not going. I felt badly, but honestly he felt worse! He then told me that what he was most troubled about was the fact that the kids were not sorry for their dastardly deeds.

We then went to make one last stop before going home and I was left in the car with kids. As soon as my husband got out of the car I spoke with kids and asked them if they knew they had misbehaved, to which they replied, “Yes.” I reminded them that their Papa loved them very much and felt badly that they had disobeyed him. I didn’t say anything else about the matter – and I didn’t need to.

When my husband got back in the car – the first thing the kids did was apologize for their behavior. He was barely in the car when they were telling their Papa just how sorry they were for their actions and they asked him to forgive them. At that point my husband was very relieved and happily

let them know that because they had apologized and asked his forgiveness he would go ahead and take them to Chuck E Cheese. Then everyone was happy and we had a great time!

I thought about the whole matter and realized we had just enacted a perfect example of the work of the Father and the Holy Spirit in the lives of Christians. Our Heavenly Father wants to give us those things that will bring us joy, but we often miss out on the joys that He has for us because we fail to submit to His will and plan for us. When we disobey our Father, He is most disappointed and desires that we seek His forgiveness. The Holy Spirit, our comforter and teacher reminds us of our sins and convicts us so that we’ll get things right with God. When we admit we've done wrong and ask forgiveness, God hears us and will bless us according to His good pleasure.

It works like this: Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. "
Jeremiah 18:10, “If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.”
John 14:26, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
Psalms 66:18, 19, “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: But verily God hath heard me; he hath attended to the voice of my prayer.”

I’m so happy that it all worked out – we went the full cycle, and each one of us represented our proper roles…my husband as the father, me as the comforter, and my grandkids as the children that sinned and then received forgiveness…and thus we all got what we wanted! What a wonderful reminder that was to me – and I hope to you as well.

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis