Two are Better Than One

This past Friday I underwent a health test that required my having an empty stomach. I was instructed to have nothing to eat or drink after 7:30 in the morning but the actual test was not until 4:45 pm - so I had to fast all day. My husband woke me up a little earlier than usual to invite me out to breakfast - we finished our last bite and sip of coffee by 7:25. We spent the rest of the morning at the church getting some things done, and then we ran a few other errands before going back home for the afternoon. I was able to nap (to kill time and not think about being thirsty) and when I woke up my mouth was pretty dry - but I couldn't have any water. I didn't say anything about it - its not really a big deal, but my husband came downstairs to check on me and wanted to let me know that he was with me - that he too had determined that he wouldn't eat or drink anything either. Maybe that's not a huge deal, and I wouldn't have minded if he had wanted to eat and drink - he had no reason not to; but it was a loving gesture on his part to let me know that he would "suffer" with me.

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

In the 31 years that we have been married as I look back, all my memories include my wonderful husband because we became one flesh - two separate people joined to form a holy union and as such the two of us together is better than one of us alone. In your marriage be two together forming one, not two fighting to see which one will get their way. Here are points to remember.

1. The two of you together is better than one of you alone because your labor together will give you a good reward. You'll be able to look back on your lives and see what you have built together - the home you have built (not house), the children you have raised, the work you have accomplished.

2. When you go through a hard time together one of you will be able to help the other. There have been many times that I have been down, either because of health or discouragement and my husband has been there to hold my hand to encourage me. By the grace of God I have been able to do the same for him.

3. On a cold winter night its nice to be able to snuggle with my husband for warmth, but it also a blessing to receive a warm reception from the man I love. There are times when have been at gatherings where we have received "the cold shoulder," but when we're together we can provide warmth for each other.

3. When you face opposition together you can stand, and most especially if Christ is at the center of your marriage - He makes the third fold of the cord that will not be quickly broken. Recently my husband had a conversation with a man that greatly discouraged him - probably as low as I have ever seen him. Please note that my husband did not come crying to me, but rather began apologizing for his shortcomings. I couldn't understand why he felt the need to apologize, nor did I agree with what he was stating were his failures. I tried to encourage him from my point of view, but then as we then prayed together the Lord brought so many illustrations from His Word to our hearts that soon we realized that the discouragement and oppression were simply distorted views from Satan. Praise the Lord for His Word and for His comfort!

Years ago I remember watching an old 40's movie (for some reason that era seems to be when many of my favorite movies were made); in the movie a young gal was getting married and her father said to her, "well honey, now the two of you are one, but remember for you he is the one!" I know it was just a line from an old movie, but I think we would all be wise to consider our other half as the one we should put first. I'm glad that we enjoy that type of relationship - and I know that every married person would be happy to enjoy a marriage like the one God has given to me. I am a blessed lady indeed - thank you Lord for giving me such a wonderful husband that follows your Word, and for a marriage that by Your grace earnestly seeks Your Word as our model.

Have a wonderful day and may God bless you and your marriage!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis