Lift 'em Up!

I have always been considered by my husband (and children) to be on the picky side when it comes to restaurants, hotels, or even general places we would go for entertainment. It would not be unusual for me to go to a restaurant, perhaps get seated, and then determine that the establishment was below my "standard" for "acceptable." I always think that if I am going to pay for something, than it should be worth the time and investment.

The thing about "standards" is that they are individual because what may be acceptable to one is not acceptable to another. For example, I am not comfortable with most restaurants that have the name "pit" in them. Not because of the name, but because most of the ones I have visited have been just that "pits." My husband on the other hand usually looks around and says, "I don't see anything wrong with it." Is he wrong? No. Am I wrong? No. We have our own standards and there is no law that says that when it comes to restaurants only one standard is acceptable.

The word standard has a lot of different meanings. It can mean the customary size of something (like a standard bed - meaning double), or it can mean a rule or principle used as a basis for judgment; and it means morals, ethics, or habits established by authority. Standard is a sticky word for a lot of people because they don't want someone else's standards imposed on them. If a church has standards for its workers often the church is labeled as "legalistic." But the truth is we all have standards - whether of our own choosing, or by those that have been authority figures in our lives.

Standard has one other meaning that I especially like - and that is "a flag or emblematic figure" - the reason I like that one is because that is akin to the word "banner" and the Bible teaches us in Song of Solomon 2:4, "He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love." That is a picture of when we are at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb - we will have a banner over us stating that the reason we are there is because the Lord loves us! That is a very pleasant picture in my mind, and one I look forward to beholding one day.

This morning in my Bible reading I was reading from Numbers and I found the word "standard" several times. In fact I read it 6 times in three chapters! The one verse especially that caught my attention was Numbers 2:2 "Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father’s house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch." This verse was saying that every person was to pitch their tent by their own standard (banner or flag)with the ensign of their Father's house. As I read this I thought of the tent as being their temporary home, like this world is for us (you know..."this world is not my home, I'm just a passing through, my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue..."). I further thought of the ensign of their Father, and I thought that where they lived should show who they are, and who their daddy was.

After pondering that verse I thought really that means then that a home should be set up by standards that show who the Father is...now that is where the two standards meet together - the banner type of standard,(something set up) and also the standard that is established by my authority (my heavenly Father) - in other words I should set up my standards so that people know I am a Christian; that God is my Father! I would like to have a banner over my house that says, "I love my Father and I am trying to live in a manner that brings glory and honour to Him!"

I can't tell you what your standards should be, but I can tell you that your standards tell others who you are, and whether or not you are willing to let others know Who your Father is! Whatever standards you hold for your life - one thing is sure...we are only ever commanded to set up or lift up a standard...so ladies don't lower your standards - lift 'em up!

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

  1. Nice! I am preaching on this subject "A Standard" within the next two weeks. (Isa. 59:19. Thanks sis! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis