It's Okay to be a Child

On New Year’s Eve we spent the evening with the family at my daughter’s house, but we actually slept at my in-law’s home. Our son Jon and his family stayed there with us as well. They of course had their children with them – Corban, 4 (on December 26) and Marissa 2. When we left my daughter’s house the kids were sleeping and slept the whole ride home and did not even wake up when we got to the house. Jon and Rachel put the kids to bed in the guest room that was set up for them. A couple hours later in the dark of the night we heard Corban calling out to his dad (a few times), “Daddy, Daddy, where are you? I’m here in the room.” The kids had never spent the night there and so were not familiar with their surroundings – I was so pleased that he did not cry because it told me that he was secure - he knew that his dad was within the sound of his voice. I am sure he must have been at least a little afraid; it was dark, he didn’t know where he was, and he couldn’t see where his parents were. As I thought of my precious little grandson, the Lord gave me the following thoughts.

I started thinking about the times we find ourselves in places we’ve never been before. Maybe you've found yourself in a situation that you never thought you would experience – a place where all you can see is darkness with no idea how you got there or where you'll end up. I recall a few times like that in my life – like when I was at the hospital listening to the doctor telling me there was a “mass” that had overtaken my daughter’s kidney; or the time our family was in the waiting room after my brother’s surgery and the doctor came out and told us that my brother’s cancer was inoperable – times like that are numbing, frightening, and lonely; and if you’ve ever been “there” you know how helpless that feels.

I am reminded of the song “Lean on Me” that says, “when you get to the place that I’m all you have, then you’ll find I’m all you need;” not only a great song, but a tremendous truth. It is during those times that we realize we really are children, and truly what a wonderful realization that becomes. We all have times that we wish we could return to the simplicity of childhood – and I am here to remind you that we can live that simply every day!

Here are a few thoughts to consider...

But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.” Mark 9:14-16 God wants us to come to Him as children, calling out KNOWING that He will hear, and will come and help – just like my grandson called his dad.

“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:4

So the next time you feel lost and alone, in the dark and frightened – call unto your Heavenly Father- He will come to you, He will help you, and He will comfort you! “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” Jeremiah 33:3

Remember you are not alone! “…lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” –Jesus (Matthew 28:20).

You don't have to be in the dark. "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12

Don't be afraid. "Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32

It is my prayer that this simple reminder will help you to remember it's okay to be a child, in fact it's a good thing. Have a wonderful day!

Comments

  1. Awesome Terrie,amazing grace,from the mouth of babe got use Corban to give you a message so inspiring,they are getting better and better!!!love mom..( very proud of you )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis