What Was I Looking For? …a continued thought

How I love God’s Word.  For years I have always considered, believed, counted on, and depended completely on God’s Word – every day for everything. Continuing from my posting yesterday, this year in my goal to “Seek” I have approached my Bible with a desire to truly search and seek God.  Of course at different stages of our lives, and through various paths along our journey as we read the Bible we seek different things, and we view things differently.

When I first got saved I sought truth and knowledge.  I wanted to be a good wife, and a good mother, a good church member – and I sought the Bible to help me to try to be all of those things. I wanted to know what the Bible said, and I wanted to learn the truth.  For many years I had an idea about who I thought God was, what I thought He might want, and viewed life on my own terms.  Sadly, I believe that many Christians view the Bible that same way – through their own terms.  More and more I find people searching for loop holes so they can adapt to this world instead of fully relying on the Bible and the guidance of the Holy Spirit to lead and direct their choices.
During the trials in my life I sought the Bible for comfort; and what a comfort it has proven and continues to be for me.  Over and over again the Lord met my needs through His precious Word.  There is not a person alive that could convince me that the Bible is not alive – for indeed the Bible is the Living Word of God! 

Now, while I know that the Bible was written for us – certainly God did not need to write things down to remember them – as He is all knowing, BUT – what I have realized is that I have always used the Word of God to see how it will benefit ME – even in my Bible reading I have remained self-centered.  In every Bible story I looked for what I could do to get the blessing, to get the success, to get the goods for me – rather than instead looking at all that God does, what He has done, how marvelous He is.

This year, as I seek the Lord, with every Bible story instead of looking at what this person did and what that person got – the Lord is showing me what He did.  Let me illustrate.  In the story of David and Goliath.  When reading and teaching that account, I always taught the kids about David’s faith in God – which is a good thing, but I believe instead I should have taught the kids to focus on the fact that God did that – God used a kid and a single stone to take down a giant!  When I face a crisis – instead of trying to be like David, how about I trust that God can do what needs to be done by whatever means He so chooses? I believe that honors the Lord much more than striving to do what other men have done.  Parents, I hope you will incorporate this thought as you teach your children - teach them to look for and seek Christ in every thing - not man.  Let's raise kids to have faith in God, and to seek Him for the answers.

In Romans 15:4, the Bible says “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.”  This shows me that the Bible is written to teach me and show me my source of hope – The Lord, Jesus Christ.  Jesus said, “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.”  John 5:39. Jesus made it abundantly clear that the Scriptures teach of Him and that in “all the Scriptures” we should be learning of Him in Luke 24:27, “And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

For me, at this point in my life, as we are church planting missionaries on deputation, as we plant churches, our desire is to point folks to Christ. "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”  Jesus said this speaking of Himself, of His hanging on the cross, His death, burial, and resurrection – however, I believe that as we continue to lift Him up, He will draw all men to Himself.  It is our prayer to reach the lost in this world by giving them the Gospel of Jesus Christ!  “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth;…”  Romans 1:16


Have a Wonderful Day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

Surviving a Crisis

And They Lived Happily Ever After