What is This?

From the time I was a young girl I enjoyed cooking. I remember a few occasions when my meal either didn’t turn out right, or was ruined, or just wasn’t what was expected. I remember as a newlywed bride I prepared a meal for my new husband that had been a favorite in my home as I was growing up. It was an Irish version of macaroni and cheese made with Velveeta – I love it to this day – but it is NOT one of my husband’s favorites.

The recipe for this macaroni and cheese was one of my grandmother’s and since it had bacon and tomatoes, it was served as a casserole or stand alone meal. I grew up with four brothers that had very healthy appetites, and so I always made a 9 x 13 pan and served them a plate full; when I set the plate of what I had typically served my brothers my husband looked at me and asked “what is this?” He quickly informed me that macaroni and cheese was a side dish – not the main meal! I was disappointed but I never served it to him that way again until my children were older and my husband realized that it was a great budget meal for a family of 6. I never realized that perhaps that was why it was served that way in my home – I always considered it a treat!

I never realized that some of the things my parents did when I was growing up was because it was more cost efficient until I was a parent myself and had too much month at the end of the paycheck! Often we don’t realize why people do things because we don’t know their circumstances and since we have never walked in their shoes we can’t understand the steps they are taking.

Children often complain about their parents being too strict because they simply cannot see that their parents are ruling out of necessity or what they believe to be in their best interest. I remember explaining to my children that they could not understand me because they had never been in my position – but that I could clearly understand their situation because I had been their age at one time.

As children of God we can be that same way – we are tempted to complain when circumstances seem difficult, or when it seems that things are not going the way we want or expect, instead of trusting that our God knows the steps that we take, and allows trials in our life for our own good. Just as my husband didn’t like the mac’n cheese as a main dish until he was able to appreciate that it was best for our family, we too may not understand why God wants us to do the things He does, or why He may not want us to do certain things... this I do know – He understands all about us – and He wants what is best for each one of us individually. “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are…” Hebrews 4:15

So when we have to face the hard things and become tempted to murmur or complain remember that there is a God in Heaven that understands all about it; He allows things in our lives for our own good that will help us in the long run. “…and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper…” Hebrews 13:5-6

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

  1. Hi Terrie I liked how you put life exsamples,an combine them with how God test us,to help us,love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

Surviving a Crisis

And They Lived Happily Ever After