Do You Know the Way?

I have always enjoyed reading. I like to read all kinds of books and I have quite an extensive library of my own. One thing that I don't read well is maps! I guess you could say that I am "directionally" challenged. I get turned around very easily - in fact if I am shopping in a mall I have to determine the direction I am heading by the surrounding stores before I go into a store or I will not know which way to go when I exit the shop!

I am normally not a ditsy type, but for some reason I just am not good with directions. One good thing that has come as a result of my "weakness" is that I pay very close attention to detail when I travel, so if I am willing to give you directions I will be able to tell you not only the street names but all the landmarks that will help you to find your way. Of course as I mentioned before that is only if I know the way - if I have to check a map I am definitely not the person you want in charge of giving directions...my family can attest to that!

For as many years as I can remember our family has always travelled together to cut down our Christmas tree. While the tradition has been to cut down the tree, we have through the years tried out different tree farms. I recall one year we went to Groveland (near Yosemite) and it snowed while we were cutting down the tree - that is a special memory to me. The time I am thinking about today in particular is one year when we went up towards Colefax - we had never been to that area and all we had was a map - and for some reason I was the one holding the map as the navigator. BIG MISTAKE! Anyway, I kept directing my husband to different areas to find the many tree farms in the area (or so I thought) - finally as we kept turning up empty my husband decided to ask me how I knew where the tree farms were and I told him that I was following the little green triangles that were on the map - oops. I thought that since they looked like Christmas trees it meant that we could find Christmas Tree Farms in those locations. Now, just so you know typically a triangle on a map stands for a US Mineral or Location Monument.

I was falsely leading my family because I didn't understand what I was reading. Had I taken the time to read the legend I would not have mislead my family to waste so much time driving to the places where there were no Christmas Tree farms. As I was chuckling at the memory of my "gaff" I was reminded of how important it is that we understand, truly understand what we are reading - especially if we are going to try to lead someone else to follow our interpretation; that is what is so dangerous about listening to TV or radio preachers - they are often misinterpreting the Scriptures and misleading their listeners.

I am reminded of I Corinthians 2:12-14 which says, "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." The key to understanding the Bible is to be taught by the Holy Spirit which God gives as a seal to those that receive Him as their personal Savior. (Ephesians 1:12-14, "That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.")

Without realizing the purpose of the map legend my lack of knowledge led us in circles; don't let that be you especially when it comes to God's Holy Word! If you don't know for sure if you have trusted Christ and been sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise - please let me know and I will happy to show you the way!

Needless to say my husband doesn't ask me to be the one to navigate using a map any more, but fortunately now I can google the map WITH directions before we leave for our destination. I am thankful that I know the Word of truth, the gospel of my salvation and that I know the way to heaven! I pray you do as well.

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis