Don't Be a Bird Brain

Currently my husband and I are living in a home in the country. We have an orchard out our front door, and a meadow behind us...it is beautiful. On the back of the house there is an enclosed patio that was recently added on by the owner for summer dining for the many church groups that stay here for their summer retreats. It is a nice big room with many windows and sliding glass doors. There does seem to be a glitch in the tie in with the original roof that allows birds to get in the patio.

Now, it may not sound like a big deal to have a bird or two get in to the patio room, except for the fact that since the room is enclosed, they can't get out! On almost a daily basis we check our "atrium" to make sure that there are no birds trapped in the room. You see, the problem is that since the room has so many windows, the birds "think" they can simply go out...and end up diving head on to the window and then crashing back on the ground!
It makes quite a noise, and sadly one of these little flying fellows has perished with a broken neck. The other problem is that though we try to help them out...they don't want our help! We try to usher the birds in the direction of the open doors or windows, and they just keep diving into the closed ones!

The other evening my husband and I were in the living room when a large bird began crashing into the window toward the house. I imagine it was because the light was on inside and since it was dark outside; the bird was flying towards the light. My husband went out to the patio and opened the sliding door and used a broom to "encourage" the bird to go out the door. I chuckled as I watched him chasing the bird in an effort to free it and save its life; only to have the bird crash into our same window over and over again. I began to laugh as my husband was then not only using the broom but also trying to coax the bird in Italian, calling it "testardo" (meaning stubborn). The bird finally flew out the door and the episode was over.

I started thinking about the bird, and thought that the slang term, "bird brain" meaning silly, or a person with confused ideas, was probably invented by someone that had the same experience with birds as we have been enjoying of late. Then I thought that really we are so often bird brained. You see, we have a Heavenly Father that knows and sees everything, that has left us His Book of instructions, guidance, love, and direction - and we too often make choices based on what we see instead of by following the Lord, and end up beating our heads against a hard surface!

That evening as I was watching my husband striving to "shepherd" that bird to safety I was reminded of the 23rd Psalm.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The Lord is our shepherd - trust Him and follow His leading - don't be a bird brain!

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis