The Faith of a Daughter

The other day I had the privilege of meeting a young mom named Carolyn. In the course of our conversation we realized that we were both "first generation" Christians meaning that we were both the first in our families to personally trust Christ for salvation full and free. I had been raised going to church, but I was placing my trust in my religion and my own good works to get to Heaven; I will say though that I was raised with good morals and many godly principles were instilled in me as I was growing up.

Carolyn was encouraged to learn the testimony of my family after my nearly 25 years of salvation - you see she is much younger than I am (the longer I live that seems to happen to me more and more). I am sure there are many "first generation" Christians that would have the same question as Carolyn did - "what did you do?" I wish I had a simple answer, I have wondered what answer I could give - and the best I can say is what my parents have told me through the years - "stay faithful; let your family see that your relationship with Christ is real."

This morning I was reading about Rahab, the harlot from the Book of Joshua. As I was reading, I realized that she too was a "first generation" Christian. In fact she was the only one in her whole town that believed God! When the men that Joshua sent to spy out the land lodged at Rahab's house she said, "And she said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land," she also said, "for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath." As the story goes she made a deal with the men that she would hide them if they would spare her and her family when God gave them the land. Then I saw the following verse: "And Joshua saved Rahab the harlot alive, and her father’s household, and all that she had; and she dwelleth in Israel even unto this day..." The family was saved because of the faith of the daughter Rahab!

What a wonderful testimony of faith - even though she was a harlot; she believed God, and God used her! She was the first in her generation that believed God...and her future generations? Let me name them for you..."And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse" Matthew 1:5. "And Salmon begat Boaz, and Boaz begat Obed, And Obed begat Jesse, and Jesse begat David." Ruth 4:21, 22. In other words Rahab married Salmon, they had Boaz, who married Ruth and they had Obed, and Obed was Jesse's father - and Jesse was the father of David! Rahab is related to Jesus - a great, great, (how ever many generations) grandmother to Jesus! God blessed her faith for every generation!

Rahab was a daughter that had faith, saw her family saved, and was able to see many future generations serve the Lord as well. Certainly that should give tremendous hope to all of us "first generationers" as well as to those that have a "past." It is my prayer that my faith will allow many generations to come live for the Lord as well! God can and will use you if you stand on your faith in Christ!

I thrill as I see my family today - my parents are both saved, (my dad is a deacon), by brothers and their families have all trusted the Lord, my youngest brother is a pastor, our children are all living for the Lord and serving Him with their lives, and so far 2 of our 11 grandchildren have received Christ as their Saviour! I praise the Lord for His goodness and thank Him for blessing the faith of a daughter.

Ladies, if you're a woman - you're a daughter...take that step of faith, and stand on it - God will bless you!

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

  1. A beautiful post! Thank you, Mrs. A!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terrie I just read T,T, IT reminds me of you if it hadn't been for your faith none of us would be were we are today your believe was so strong in your Salvation that I knew it had to be real And I wanted that same believe Thank GOD for you.love you always Mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis