Are You "One?"

Do you ever just get a “hankering” for something? I have different comfort foods that somehow make me feel better when I have different types of ailments. As a little girl when I was under the weather, I remember that my grandmother used to make rice pudding – I don’t think she made it for any particular reason other than the fact that it was delicious, but now when I have a cold I think I need to eat rice pudding. If I have an ailment with my stomach, I eat soda crackers and grape juice (my grandfather’s cure). My all time favorite comfort food is Chinese cuisine.

One day last week I had such a day, and so I texted my husband the name of a couple of food items suggesting that he bring them home for dinner. I guess I wasn’t all that surprised to have him call me a few moments later telling me that he had already made the purchases and would be home in just a few moments – we have been married for 31 years after all…he should know me by now, right? I will say that though I wasn’t surprised, I am very appreciative of such a thoughtful husband. I am so thankful that my husband is “dwelling with me according to knowledge.” He definitely knows me.

It is amazing how much we two have become one in the years we have been married – I can’t even tell the number of times I hear my husband ask the same questions, make the same comments, or express the same thoughts about things. I believe as Christians we experience this even more because of the unity of the Holy Spirit. This morning as I was praying the Lord brought a particular parable to my mind that reminded me of a situation we are facing. Later in the morning I was telling my husband that the Lord brought the parable to my mind and he stated that the Lord had brought the exact same parable to his mind…coincidence? I think not. The Lord brought the same parable to our minds individually to comfort us, and also to show us the unity of His Holy Spirit’s working in our lives.

“Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 15:5, 6


This oneness doesn’t happen simply because you have exchanged wedding vows, wear wedding rings, or because you sleep in the same bed…


1. Depend on each other – not your parents (Genesis 2:24)
2. Love and respect each other. (Ephesians 5:33)
3. Don’t be selfish – think of your mate. (Philippians 2:4)
4. Don’t argue – give in to each other. (Ephesians 5:2)1
5. Love each other (Charity) (I Corinthians 13:4-8)
6. Be filled with the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:16)
7. Give your husband lots of kisses and appreciate how handsome he is. (Song of Solomon 5:16)
8. Read your Bible and pray daily
9. Talk to each other! Bare your heart.
10. Stay sweethearts - hold hands, go on dates, have fun together

It is wonderful to be good friends with each other - work on it...you'll be glad you did!

Have a wonderful day.

Comments

  1. Hi Terry I enjoyed this story I think ill use it for my class the format after all is being fifty thre years for us but i never know how to put into words it pleases me to know how happy you are with David we knew he would make you happy love mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis