Its Not Getting Old, Its Getting Better!


When I was 17 years old, I began dating my husband. By my 18th birthday I knew I wanted to marry him - I knew that I loved him and wanted to be his wife for the rest of my life. Well, it took a while for him to get with it, but finally on the eve of my 21st birthday we were married - 31 years ago today! What a journey we have had thus far, and somehow though we have been together for so many years, we still share new dreams for our future together. Its not getting old - its getting better!

Several years ago I taught a lesson to the HomeBuilder's Ladies, "The Bride of Christ, The Church, and Your Marriage." This lesson was taken from the Book of Revelations where Jesus is writing to the Church, (the Bride of Christ) and paralleling it with man (made in God's image) and his wife. I believe that the truths I learned in preparing for that lesson helped us to build the truly marvelous marriage we enjoy today!

Here are the key points.

1. Keep your hubby #1 In Revelation 2:4,5 Jesus is telling His Bride that she has stopped doing the things she did when their love was new. "Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works..." No matter how long you have been married, keep the honeymoon in your marriage.

2. Stay by your husband through thick and thin In Revelation 2:9, Jesus is telling His Bride that though they are suffering hardships, though they may not have money, in keeping true to their vows they are indeed rich. "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich)..." "be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." The promise is to the faithful.

3. Keep a walk with God and pray for your husband Be careful with this one, because Eve was deceived and encouraged her husband to sin. In Revelation 2:13-15, "I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, ... But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel,... So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate." This wife is not denying Christ and probably thinks she is a godly woman, but she is following the wrong leaders. She is being influenced by laity in the church instead of following the pastor; she is in danger because she is doing something God hates!

4. Don’t get sidetracked from your purpose (your husband), your goal should be to help him achieve his goal. Jesus warned His Bride in Revelation 2:20 - 23, "I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, ... And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. ...except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death..." This is serious because though this wife is saved, giving and serving and believes God; she is willing to hold hands with doctrines that God is against; this wife is not putting her husband first, and refuses to follow him. The scary thing about this is that it will ruin your children's lives unless you get it right.

5. Do what he likes and build your relationship by carefully listening to him – use what you did when dating to encourage him. "thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain"
a. To rebuild a weakened marriage, begin by strengthening what little you do have, make it better. Think of what makes your husband happy and do it.
b. Remember the things you did while dating (the way you act before you are married)
a. More attentive
b. Dress nice to impress him
c. Make him feel that you really want to be with him
d. Tell him he is handsome
e. Tell him what a great man you think he is
f. Remember the things he has told he likes and dislikes; if he likes it, do it; if he doesn’t it, don’t do it!

6. Trust and obey him (don’t fight him every time he wants to do something) "...for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." Keep your husband’s word and confidence – this wife is obeying her husband, trusting his leadership and is earnestly trying to trust and obey

7. Be his #1 cheerleader "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth...be zealous therefore"

I am thankful that God gave me such an awesome husband and has allowed us to enjoy such a close and happy marriage together. We have been tried through every one of the downside (sickness, poorer, worse) vows; yet together as one we have endured and weathered each storm.

Of my hubby I say, "His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend." Happy Anniversary Sweetheart - I love you!

Have a wonderful day today ladies and may God bless your marriages!

Comments

  1. I read your Tender Touch this morning and really enjoyed it. I know what I will be teaching in my ladies Sunday school class next month, love Mom Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis