Got Talent?

When I was a young girl in the 6th grade I was very involved in the various activities my school had to offer. I was in the choir - and even was asked to sing solo parts at times; I was involved in athletics and was normally the fastest runner (amongst the girls) in my class. I was basically a straight A student and didn't face a lot of competition...that is until the new girl came to school.

This new girl named Bonnie came to school and as our class sang - she had the most beautiful and clear singing voice I had ever heard! She had an amazing talent that of course I soon envied. To make matters worse when we went to PE, she was the fastest runner (even beating out many of the boys!), I was doomed; no matter how hard I tried to beat her, I simply could not out run this girl. With Bonnie's presence in my life I realized that there were others that were far better than I was at what I thought were my best attributes. I was so disappointed at first, but it taught me a valuable lesson. I learned that it is a fact of life that there is always someone smarter, prettier, more popular, more talented, etc. than I am, but that's okay, I don't have to be the best, I just need to strive to do my best and God will help me with the rest.

"Use hospitality one to another without grudging. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." Each one of us has a purpose and God has given us specific talents and gifts so that we may fulfill the purpose for which we were created. So, if you aren't the absolute best in the world - it is because you don't need to be to fulfill your purpose. I believe in good, healthy competition, but it is not healthy to expect that no one will be as good or talented as you are. Remember that God gave you the measure of talents and gifts you have according to what He knows you need; use them to the best of your ability. I am not saying you should not try to improve your skills or talents, I believe that we should all strive to grow in every area. One of my favorite verses is Psalm 17:15, "As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness." In other words I won't be satisfied until I am like Christ...that means working at improving until the day I wake up in heaven.

So, today if you have a gift or talent that God has given you, use it today, it will bring you joy and glory to God if you use it properly. You may not have control over being the best - but it is within your power to do your best! Remember James 1:17 says, " Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis