Babbling or Breaking Through?

Have you ever had a child come up to you and babble something but have no idea what in the world they were trying to saying? And then have the same child look at you and wonder why you are not responding...only then to have their mother hear them and clearly understand exactly what they want? I love hearing children as they are just beginning to talk - it is so adorable to me as they stumble through new pronunciations, or listening to them proudly use new words.

All of my children spoke relatively early and as a mom I always tried my best to understand what they were trying to communicate to me. Of course a lot of the time I would understand what they were trying to say because I had worked at teaching them to pronounce their words, and heard their attempts - so when they tried to use their new words, I knew what they were saying. I also found that they would be more willing to keep trying to learn new words if I responded to the ones they had already learned.

I am picturing right now in my mind an adorable little boy standing at my knees looking up at me with his arms extended saying, "dow" meaning "pick me up." I concluded that the reason for his confusion was because when he was in his highchair I would ask if he wanted to get down, and then I would pick him up. I understood what he meant because I spent time with him, and of course as a mom I knew his needs.

Last night I watched as one of my baby granddaughters (I have 4 that were born in 2008) wasn't feeling well. She didn't feel well and didn't know how to communicate what she was feeling, but her momma understood her fussiness and babbling - and did what she needed to do to help her baby feel better. That's what moms do best.

The Holy Spirit indwelling us does much of the same thing. I have heard it taught that the family is a picture of the Holy Trinity - Dad (being a picture of the Heavenly Father) children (being a picture of the Son - obedient) and Mom (by process of the elimination - the Holy Spirit). The Bible does say in Isaiah 66:13, "As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you;" and we know that the Holy Spirit is the comforter, so I believe that we would do well as mothers to learn the role of the Holy Spirit and implement those characteristics to our position.

Today, I am thinking especially about the Holy Spirit's work in helping us with praying (asking) for the things we want and need. You know sometimes, we can know we have a need, and want to pray about something, but just feel at a loss and not know what to say, kind of like my granddaughter last night; or maybe we feel that we're not sure if our prayer sounds like babbling when we really want to break through and we just can't fully express what we need...in any case the Holy Spirit is there indwelling the heart of every Christian to help us with those situations. Romans 8:26-27 says, "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God." That is so comforting to me, because the Holy Spirit will take my prayer before the Heavenly Father, and present to Him what is best for me according to the will of God. What is even more comforting in that thought is that God's promises in I John 5:14, "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:"

You know just as a child is encouraged to keep talking when they perceive that they are being understood, we will be encouraged as we pray knowing that because the Holy Spirit is there helping us to pray and presenting our prayers before God according to His will we have the following promise in Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Afraid your prayers aren't being understood? Don't worry the Holy Spirit has it covered, and whatever the outcome, trust God because all the things that will happen as a result of your prayer will work together for the good things that God wants for you and your life - even if you don't understand it. When my granddaughter wasn't feeling well, she may not have liked the medicine her momma gave her, but it was for her good, and afterwards she did feel better. We may not like all the things that are working together for our good - but they are for our good, and things will get better. The Holy Spirit understands your babbling (praying - and be sure that you are praying) and will present if before God according to His will for your good!

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis