The Ride of Your Life!

I love to ride roller coasters! I remember as a teen going to Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk, and riding that roller coaster - we would raise our arms and scream as we went soaring downward on the Big Dipper! My husband on the other hand is not especially a huge fan of roller coasters - he'll ride them to accompany me, but they are not his favorite.

I was talking with one of my sons the other night and he was reminding me of the time I convinced him to ride on Space Mountain at Disneyland when he was just 4 years old. He didn't want to go on the ride, but I convinced him it would be a lot of fun. Well, as it turned out, this particular son takes more after his dad in the roller coaster department - and in his memory it was one of the most horrifying moments of his life! I know, you are all thinking that I was a cruel mom, forcing my young son to do something he didn't want to do, and I did feel bad that he was so frightened on the ride,(he has ridden them many times since); but there is a truth that can be learned from this experience.

When my son rode on that ride, he did so for one reason - he believed whatI told him, so, you could say he did so by faith. As Christians we are called upon to live a life of faith. We can only please God by exercising faith in Him, and in His Word. Hebrews 11:6 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

In Hebrews 11 we find all the things that God, our Heavenly Father asked His children to do by faith. "By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went." Hebrews 11:7-8 Noah had never even heard of rain, yet he moved with fear and as a result his family was saved through the flood. Abraham was called to go to a place -without even knowing where he was going. I am sure there had to be a measure of fear involved in that move, yet he obeyed.

Obedience is the true evidence of faith - when you believe something you do it; even if you're afraid. Because we are human I am sure that every first step of faith is mixed with fear. Think of going to the doctor to have surgery - you put your faith in a doctor, and though you may feel fear, you go in to surgery because you believe it will help heal or fix the problem. Even though we feel fear when we exercise faith - that is okay, as long as we do it! Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe.

Want the ride of life? Live by faith in God; you will find "... the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil." II Thessalonians 3:3

Have a wonderful day! I love you and have prayed for you today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis