Today I am flat on my back. I have some arthritis (common for women that have several children, especially who carry their children low.) I am not able to stand erect, and I cannot walk properly. I have experienced this once before several years ago and it was at that time during my prayer and devotion that the Lord stressed to me the importance of walking and having the right walk with God. In my quest to discover "how to walk," the Lord taught me the following:
Matthew 9:1-8 is an account of several men bringing a man sick with the palsy (Palsy- any of several conditions characterized by paralysis) to the Lord to be healed. Jesus did heal him, but His choice of words was to tell the man that his sins were forgiven him; and when this man’s sins were forgiven, he was able to walk.
1. We cannot walk with God unless or until we trust Him and receive Christ as our personal Savior.
2. Sin can cause paralysis in our Christian life. If we harbor sin without confessing, we will be unable to walk in fellowship with God.
The word walk has several meanings. In this context it means- one’s way, progress, to make due use of opportunities. It also means: to live, regulate one’s life, conduct one’s self, to pass one’s life (use of time.)
Now, we know that in order to walk with God, we need salvation and we must be right before God; but how should we walk?
1. Walk in God’s law, statutes, and ways as commanded.
2. David walked in the integrity of his heart- uncompromising, adherence, honest. (I Kings 9:4)
3. Walk in the fear of the Lord (Nehemiah 5:9) (fear means: awe, reverence, respect, love)
4. Walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11; Proverbs 2:7; Proverbs 28:18)
5. Walk in liberty when we seek His precepts. (Psalm 119:45) When we seek His precepts, we don’t have to be afraid that what we are doing is wrong; we don’t need to hide.
6. Walk in the good old paths- Jeremiah 6:16- seek counsel from godly, experienced people; they know what has been tested and proven true.
7. Walk humbly (Micah 6:8) Humility is the proper evaluation of one’s self.
8. Walk in His light. When you walk in someone else’s light, you are led by what they see and what they are looking for. (Ephesians 5:8; I John 1:7)
9. Walk in the newness of life. (Romans 6:4)
10. Walk by faith (II Corinthians 5:7)
11. Walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:1; 8:4; Galatians 5:16)
12. Walk in truth (III John 4)
13. Walk in love (Ephesians 5:2)
14. Walk circumspectly (watchful, discreet, cautious, prudent) (Ephesians 5:15)
15. Walk worthy of the Lord (Colossians 1:10)
16. Walk in wisdom (Colossians 4:5; Colossians 1:10)
17. Walk worthy of your vocation (Ephesians 4:1)
18. Walk as dear children. (Ephesians 5:1)
19. Walk honestly (Romans 13:13; I Thessalonians 4:12)
20. Walk in Peace (Malachi 2:6; Luke 1:79; Romans 10:15; 14:19;Galatians 6:16; I Thessalonians 4-5)
Psalm 1- “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly…”