Some Things I've Learned

When I was a young mother back in the day… I diligently sought the Bible to see what God wanted me to do so that I could raise my children the right way. That quest led me to places I never thought would make a difference in the lives of my children, but now that I am not a “young mother,” and my children are grown, there are some things I have noticed that I believe the Lord showed me to help me with regard to raising my own children. I do not claim that I am by any means an expert in raising children, or that I was a perfect mother; but I have learned a few things that I would like to share with you. These are notes from a devotion I gave to "my girls" upon the birth of one of my grandsons - it is my prayer that it will be of help and a blessing to you.

When I was first became a Christian and started reading my Bible, I earnestly believed that the Bible was like a cookbook. I thought I could look up a subject and find a complete recipe for the answers I was seeking. I remember looking in my Bible and trying to find information about child rearing. In my search, the Lord led me to Deuteronomy 22:5 which states that it is an abomination to God for men and woman to wear the same clothing. What in the world does that have to do with rearing children?!? Through the years, I have watched those that came to the conclusion that it had nothing to do with it, and what I have found is that those that will not give up something that is an abomination to God will probably not have children that turn out for God.

Secondly, the Bible says, “There are many devices in a man’s heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand.” Proverbs 19:21

I have learned that there are a lot of ideas and philosophies that people, books, and doctors have about rearing children, but the truest way to do things right is to seek the Lord and follow His leading. Your love for God, your obedience to God, and your willingness to follow Him will instill the qualities in your children that God wants for them in order for them to fulfill His will for their lives. We can go crazy trying to follow books about rearing children, but the greatest success will come when you follow the Bible. The only time the word success appears in the Bible is found in Joshua 1:8
“This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”

When you don’t know what to do to comfort your child, pray for wisdom and God will give you an answer, whether it be through receiving counsel from your mom, or from a godly counselor, or by giving you an idea that he places on your heart. Don’t allow a heathen psychologist, or doctor try to tell you how to train your child. I believe in following the doctor’s orders regarding health issues and medicines…but not in philosophy. When God gives you children, I believe that He gives you insight to know your children and how to do what is best for them. The key is to seek Him and then listen to Him and obey His leading.

When Dr. Spock wrote his book on rearing children, he set this nation in a tailspin that I believe has led to a downward trend in parenting. The reason his book made such a big difference, is because women went against the Bible’s teachings and started following a man’s ideas. He did write a second book, apologizing for being wrong in his first book, but oops! too late - that generation was already reared. When people write books about children rearing, they have no way to guarantee success because they are not certain that everything they are teaching is absolute truth; but the Bible is truth! Remember that God is our Creator - whose instructions and directions can be better than our Maker?

Have a wonderful day! I love you ladies and earnestly pray that The Tender Touch will be a blessing to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Surviving a Crisis