The greatest example we have in parenting is what we can see and learn from our Heavenly Father. There are several things we can learn about being a parent from simply following the pattern we find in the Bible.
1. Before He placed man on this earth, He created and prepared the earth, the garden and everything that man would need.
2. When Adam and Eve were in the garden, He told them of their responsibilities and He gave them boundaries (not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil).
3. He warned them of the consequences if they disobeyed.
4. When they disobeyed, He kept His Word and banished them from the garden.
5. The Lord gave us the 10 Commandments.
He has always told us what He expects from us and what we can expect if we disobey. He also instructed the children of Israel regarding the food they should or should not eat, for their health and for their own good. With all of that He has promised to forgive, to love us with an unfailing love and has provided the ultimate gift by sending Jesus to pay the debt that we could not pay. All of this is a picture of His love for us. He has provided all of our needs, not based on what we want, but on what is best for us. Whatever our need, He has provided it. We have often heard that you can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. Our heavenly Father continues to give us each day what we need. This is the role of a parent.