Redeem the Time

I would like today for you to take a little walk with me down memory lane. The year was 1975 in January. It was late in the evening, and I was beginning the second semester of my senior year in school. I recall very clearly that I was on my bed, pondering my life. It dawned on me that I would soon be leaving my childhood days and approaching the reality of the adult world. I remember thinking to myself, “Okay, in a few months I will graduate- what do I want to do with my life? I began to take my school work more seriously. I was transitioning myself from child to adult. In March 1975, I was out with friends and saw my husband. I had met him during my sophomore year, but that was it. Now I was a senior, and he had already graduated. We did not talk at all that evening, we simply exchanged glances. I knew when I left that I was interested in this guy. The following day when I told my best friend that I sure thought that David Azzarello was cute, she told me that her brother asked if he could give my phone number to his friend that wanted to call me, one David Azzarello. On March 22, 1975, we went on our first date. I was 17, and he was 18. On July 28, 1978, my husband finally proposed to me, and on October 14, 1978, we were married. You know, now we have been married for over 30 years, our children are all married and we have 11 grandchildren!

The Bible tells us in Psalms 90:9 that we spend our days as a tale that is told, “For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told.” Do you realize that the memories I just shared with you cover a period of over 34 years! Yet now- they are my memories- a tale that is told. Psalm 89:47-48says, “Remember how short my time is: wherefore hast thou made all men in vain? What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.”

Our time really is short and every one of us (if the Lord tarries) will see death. I know that sounds so morbid, but I believe it is important that we take the time to realize just how precious our time is so that perhaps we will be more careful about the way we use our time as well as the way we treat those we love.

Psalm 90:12 says, “So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.”

This day, this time in your life will never return. I will never hold my children and carry them because they are too tired to walk. I’ll probably not take them by the hand anymore, and of course now others are caring for and comforting my sons and daughter when they are ill. For some of you, with many young children, you may want to rush through this time. I hear women say, “I can’t wait until they can do this on their own.” Listen; enjoy every moment and every stage with your children. It goes by so fast. When I first got saved, I was 27 with four children, all ages five and under yet it seems like yesterday.

Ephesians 5:14-16 says, “Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” Redeeming the time- to redeem means to rescue, deliver, free, protect, safeguard, preserve, conserve

Ladies, your time is invaluable. Each moment of your time can never be retrieved, once it is gone, you will never get it back. Use your time wisely!

Teach us to number our days:
How many days will you have with your children? If they live in your home until they are 18 that is approximately:
6570 days
(2210) less school days
leaves 4360 days
if child is five 1825 have alread past
which means you have 2535 days left if child is five years old!

That really isn’t very much time when you think about it, and once they are grown, you will never have the opportunity to do the things you think of doing now while they are young. Don’t put your kids off, you won’t have them forever.

Remember you must redeem your time.

1. Look at your average schedule. Are you wasting time? Do you waste time and then become exasperated when your children misbehave when you are trying to rush and catch up? Remember to: protect, free, safeguard, preserve, and conserve your time, so that you can do what is important and not a waste of time.
2. Prioritize the things that need to be done and what should take your time.
a. What has to be done?
b. How much time will that take?
c. How much time is left for other things?

If you know that you will waste time doing something, wait until the other stuff is done and the kids are down for a nap. This way you get things done, spend time with your kids, and still have time for what you want to do.
• Make sure the priorities you set are in the proper order
• Organize your errands. Don’t wander aimlessly going from place to place. Consider where you must go, what you must do and as often as possible eliminate the extra trips out to the grocery store. Lack of planning in that area takes time and money, because normally, if you go to the store for only one item, you'll end up buying more.
• Make sure that your husband gets undivided attention from you often. You don’t want him to be a stranger to you when the kids are gone. You were after all created to be a help meet for your husband. Realize that the time you have to do anything is now. Yesterday is gone; you have no assurance of tomorrow. You only have now.
• Revelation 1:3 says "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Seek God’s Word to set your priorities, if you read and hear and keep those things you will be blessed.

Redeem your time - use your time wisely
Now is the time - you only have now
The time is at hand - this is the time you should be using

God’s order:
1. Spirit- Be led by the Holy Spirit
2. Mind- Let the Holy Spirit and Word of God control your thoughts and plans
3. Body- Let your mind control your body

Be sure that you consecrate time to be with the Lord each day in His Word and in prayer. Without Him, we can do nothing, but through Him, we can do all things.

It is amazing how quickly time passes, redeem your time - you'll be glad you did!

Comments

  1. Great reminder to redeem our time for wisdom.
    Thanks for the great thoughts...
    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

Surviving a Crisis

And They Lived Happily Ever After