Words, Words, Words

In my Bible study time I have been amazed at how frequently the Bible talks about the use of the tongue and the words we say. It seems that everyday I am reading about how wisdom will help us to “regard discretion” and “that thy lips may keep knowledge.” Proverbs 5:2 instructs how the lips of the strange woman sound so smooth, but they are leading to a destructive way of living; that will lead us to sin, whose wages we know is death. All sin leads to a death of some kind. Whether it be the death of a friendship, a job, or a punishment that ends a privilege we have enjoyed.

I have also been reading in the Gospel of Matthew and have found that Jesus has much to say about our words. In Matthew 12:34-37 Jesus says, “O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh, A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things; and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” After reading that I had to ask myself the question, “will I be justified by my words or condemned?” The fact that I will give an account of every idle word I speak in the day of judgment certainly makes me want to be very cautious about what I say. Ladies, I encourage you to remember that you will give an account of every idle that you speak in the day of judgment. Have you considered your words? Will you be justified or condemned? It is my prayer that I will be a Spirit-filled Christian and yield my tongue to the Lord each day. We all remember the old saying (that we know is not true) “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me” We all know that words can break a person's heart, and the hardest thing is that once you have said something hurtful, you can never take back the hurt it caused. Oh, you can apologize and receive forgiveness, but the damage has been done. It has been stated that a woman speaks on the average about 7000 words a day! Wow, that sure leaves room for a lot of idle speaking. I like what wise King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 5:2 “Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.” I love you ladies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

Surviving a Crisis

And They Lived Happily Ever After