Praise Continually

In May 2004, my first grandchild was born! He was a miracle indeed - he is the son of my only daughter Kellie who is a cancer survivor. I praise the Lord each day for His love, grace and mercy, and for all of my precious children, and now grandchildren. Today's post is the devotion I prepared for Kellie - Mark is starting kindergarten this week!

Kellie’s Baby Shower
May 22, 2004
For Mark David Bybee
Born: 5/13/2004 at 2:27 PM
4 lbs. 1 oz, 16 inches
Born 6.3 weeks early

As I prayed and pondered what I might say today, the Lord led me to Psalm 71:6-7 “By thee have I been holden up from the womb; thou art he that took me out of my mother’s bowels; my praise shall be continually of thee. I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge.”

As I read these verses, I thought of your life Kellie and how God has held you up. He did finally take you from my womb to be born 12 days late – so that you could be my very special birthday gift; then years later when He carried us through your cancer and allowed you to be healthy and cured, God was our strong refuge and you were indeed a wonder to many.

I remember Dr. Young always commenting how calm and peaceful we seemed compared with her other patients. I thought of how the nurses wondered because of your seemingly painless labor. Now Kellie, we have precious little Mark. Verse 1 in this Psalm says, “In thee O Lord do I put my trust, let me never be put to confusion.” When you called because you were afraid that your baby would be born pre-maturely we could not understand why. I watched then as my baby feared for her own baby. But, we soon learned that God’s timing was perfect.

First, Mark weighed 4 lbs. 1 oz though the doctors speculated only 3 pounds. I prayed that he would weigh at least 4 pounds, and God answered that prayer!
Secondly, after Mark was born I stood there as the doctor said to the nurse, “he knew it was time to be born.” When I asked what he meant, he (the doctor) explained to me how the umbilical cord was all coiled, like a spiral…if he had waited longer to be born, his oxygen could have been cut off that may have resulted in a still birth.
Thirdly, Mark never needed oxygen or a respirator, though he was over 6 weeks early! He was able to breathe on his own right away.

Yes, Mr. Mark is already a wonder to the many nurses and doctors that are caring for him…because though he is so tiny and early – he is strong and feisty – and a little stubborn!
§ He kicks the nurses when they do things he doesn’t like
§ He pulled out his feeding tube because he didn’t like it
§ He pulled off his sunglasses while under the “bili light” once he discovered how to do it – the nurse could not keep them on!
§ He complains when they lay him in a position he doesn’t like or when they wrap him up so that he can’t move his arms.

Kellie, because of the testimony you already hold; Psalm 71:5 “For thou art my hope; O Lord God; thou art my trust from my youth.” I believe that you and Mark are “as a wonder to many.” And now you have a job to do... Raise Mark (and Lord willing future children) to the Glory of God.
I have one key thought for you to remember. Psalm 71:8, “Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.” “If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man and able also to bridle the whole body.” (James 3:2) The key is to let your mouth be continually praising and honoring the Lord. If you follow that one thought it will help you in every aspect as a mother.

Here’s why I believe this is true:
Luke 6:45-46 says, “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil; for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” If you will indeed “let” your mouth be filled with praise – it would have to be because you have an abundance in your heart. The abundance of good in your heart will lead you to do what God says.

Acts 4:20, “For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.” Guard what you see and hear, they will fill your heart.

Kellie, raise Mark with this Psalm in mind. You will find this cycle repeating itself throughout your life.

1. Purpose – you must determine to trust God
2. Predicament – difficult situations will arise
3. Prayer – when they do, pray and then trust God
4. Praise – Remember to Praise the Lord – He’s done it before – He’ll do it again!


Thou which hast shewed me great and sore troubles (cancer) shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth. Thou shalt increase my greatness, (because now you are raising a next generation) and comfort me on every side.

Kellie, follow God’s plan…”My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long...”
There is Victory!
I love you,

Mom.

Ladies, I believe these truths are for every mother raising children. It is my prayer that this will be of help and a blessing to all of you. I have prayed for you today!

Comments

  1. I am re-reading all of the Tender Touches that I have missed the past few days. They are all a blessing, but I thank you especially for posting this one. I remember when you gave this devotion at my baby shower, Mark was still in the hospital. I can't believe that it is now over five years ago, and I have such a good, healthy little boy that has already received Christ as his Savior. God is so good! I love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, God is so good and my precious Kellie, I love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The True Prize

Surviving a Crisis

And They Lived Happily Ever After